Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Cute Story with a Horrible Twist

Meet The Puppy That Glows In The Dark

Awwwww! How cute. A ruby red puppy that glows in the dark...

But then there are these little gems:

Team member CheMyong Ko of the University of Kentucky in Lexington, said of the breakthrough: "The next step for us is to generate a true disease model."

The hope is that, following the Ruppy breakthrough, transgenic dogs will become more effective stand-ins for the study of human disease.

Ok, not so cute anymore. They want to breed puppies with genetic mutations that cause them to quickly get cancer, heart disease, Parkinson's and other diseases so that they can test medical procedures on them. I'm very happy with them testing medical procedures on rats. I can even deal with them testing with pigs (good stand-ins for humans, and I don't mean that in any negative way.) But, I am definately NOT happy with performing medical tests on dogs. Yes, I realize that it happens now. I'd like to see that stopped and I definately do not want to see new dogs bred just to be used for testing.

I will continue to follow dog news and puppy news stories like this and bring them to you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Buying A Puppy Headline Animator